The U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Service just released a new Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. This form replaces the current form and has the following changes:
- New expiration date (03/31/2016).
- The instructions that used to be 3 pages long are now six pages long and include links to other resources.
- The actual I-9 form is now two pages instead of one page like the current form.
- The online version allows you to fill-in the fields and has drop down menus for date and country of issuance.
- The data field titles are clearer
- Section 1 has the following New Fields:
E-mail address and phone number (which is optional)
Alien Authorized to Work
Foreign passport and country of issuance
- Section 2 has the following New Fields:
Employer’s name on the top of the form
New fields for List A document combinations
It is suggested that employers begin using the new form immediately. The new form, dated March 8, 2013, must be used for all new hires beginning May 7, 2013.